Search Engine Optimization, or SEO, is a method of getting your website found on the internet. If you’re not on the first page of a Google search, you may never be found at all. Through various methods like specific keywords, product tagging, and detailed descriptions, you can increase your chances of being higher up in the vast list of search results.
Map out your SEO Strategy
In order to improve your search engine visibility you’ll have to determine the keywords you want to dominate and map out a clear and concise search engine promotion campaign. The goal is to drive targeted traffic to your website that will ultimately result in sales leads or conversions. Your search engine strategy should clearly define who your competition is and what your goals as a website owner entail as well as a clearly defined path outlining how you plan to achieve your SEO goals.
First though, let’s be sure you know the difference between natural search engine results and paid search engine rankings.
If you don’t already know, Search Engine Optimization refers to optimizing your website for organic search placement. Every time a search engine query is placed, ‘natural’ search engine listings appear on the page as do ‘sponsored’ search engine results.
As you can see, any website owner wants to be on the first page of any search engine query. Studies tell us that 90% of all people report they don’t go past the first page of results. The goal, then, is to improve your search engine position as much as possible.
- Keyword Research
- Link Popularity
- Search Engine Submission
- Directory Submission
- The Tags (Meta Description, Title, Keyword, & H1 tags)
About Meta tags, Title Tags, Header Tags
- Meta description tags give information about a certain web page. While many SEO experts don’t believe the major search engine are looking at meta tags as much as they once did, it can’t hurt to include them in the code of your web pages. Meta tags should include your primary keywords, but keep it short; about 150 characters.
- Title tags are critical. Your title tag should include your parent theme keyword and should entice the visitor. Your title tag is your headline for content contained in your webpage and can double or even triple the web traffic you get compared to a bad title. Keep the title tag under 64 characters and each page should have a different title.
- Keyword Tags have been devalued and, in fact, are not even indexed by Google. Do not put your ‘money’ keywords in your meta keyword tag. Your competition can come steal the keywords you’ve worked so hard to attain. Do not repeat keywords.
- H1 headers can be found on the very beginning of the content area of your web pages. Generally the title of your web pages should be your H1 header.
Driving Targeted Traffic
A great ‘Search Engine Optimization’ program that drives targeted traffic to your website is like having a virtual sales force that never sleeps. Search Engine Optimization Services vary greatly. One Search Engine Optimization agency might limit their work to writing meta tags and submitting your website to various directories. Another SEO agency might consider their role of search engine promotion to include a linking campaign as well. Whether you chose to attempt SEO on your own or you decide to employ a Search Engine Optimization firm the reality is clear: every business must have an SEO plan in place or they will lose out to their competition.